Situated at 1800m, MoaAlm offers a superb base from which to explore the breathtaking mountains of East Tirol Austria. Part of the small `WearActive’ company, we are the second property owners Xania and Craig have converted into a stylish, relaxing, holiday location.
With a focus on being ‘relaxingly active’, MoaAlm provides a space for us to share our passion for the mountains alongside balanced, healthy living with you. Therefore at MoaAlm we offer a diverse range of mountain activities, daily yoga classes and time to relax in our wood fired hot tub, or on our south facing terrace.
Great, healthy, home cooked food is a vital part of the `Wear Active concept and guests can expect to enjoy hearty three course dinners with ingredients that are organic, locally sourced, often plant based and seasonal. Group sizes are limited to twelve so a holiday at MoaAlm is always highly personalised. You can expect to arrive at MoaAlm as a guest, but leave as a friend.
For those interested in yoga, our certified yoga teacher offers a morning yoga class on 5 days of the week. Classes generally last 1 hour and you are very welcome to join whether you have never done yoga before or you are a regular practitioner – classes are always tailored to individual needs. Our yoga teacher specialises in Hatha yoga and occasionally teaches a Restorative or Yin yoga session in the afternoon or a guided meditation on request. In our fully equipped in-house yoga studio we have yoga mats and props, so you only need to bring some comfortable clothes that allow you to move in them. Whenever the weather allows we take our yoga practice outside to breathe in the fresh mountain air!
If you like a little bit extra adventure we can organise additional activities such as mountain biking, rafting, canyoning, paragliding or rock climbing (these are not included in the price). Another option is to take a day trip to the picturesque town of Lienz 30km from MoaAlm to browse the market and shops or to taste the local wines. If you like to focus more on the relaxing part of your holiday, you might want to book massages and treatments at the nearby hotel.
At MoaAlm we love food! There is no better start to the day than a nutritious breakfast. We serve fresh fruits, oats & cereals, bread, eggs and much more. After an active day in the outdoors you can warm up with a cup of tea and enjoy our freshly baked cake – you’ve deserved it! At dinner our chef always surprises us with a delicious meal made with lots of love and attention. We believe that food tastes best when it grows close-by: our ingredients are local, fresh and organic whenever possible. Read more about our tasty meals.
JUNE, JULY, AUGUST & SEPT 2019
Find out more about this retreat here.
MoaAlm, your home away from home, is situated at 1800m in the middle of Hohe Tauern National park in Austria, just 3km above the small community of Kals am Grossglockner. MoaAlm is a recently renovated guest house with room for a maximum of 12 – 15 guests. You will stay in a room with panoramic views and en-suite private bathroom. After an active day in the outdoors you can enjoy the astonishing view from our sunny terrace or relax in our living room before having dinner at our shared dining table.
Welcome to our – and your – living room! Please make yourself at home: enjoy a drink at the bar, curl up on the sofa with a book, or enjoy a meal at our shared dining table.
The in-house yoga studio has a panoramic mountain view and is the perfect place for an active start to the day with some energising yoga or a relaxing session of restorative yoga in the afternoon. In the morning the sunrise fills the room with energy and the late afternoon turns the mountains pink. We love this room and we hope hope you will enjoy it as much as we do!
We have 6 guest rooms. They are stylishly decorated and spacious (sizes vary up to 24 square meters). All rooms have an ensuite private bathroom and stunning views. Some have balconies but not all.
All rooms can be made up with 1 double or two single beds. 3 of our rooms can also be made up into triple rooms and are ideal for families.
|Name of Retreat||Dates||Availability||Price (Euros)|
|Hike & Yoga||June 1 -8 June 2019||Yes||1120|
|Mindfulness in Nature||June 8 -15 June 2019||Yes||1230|
|Hike & Yoga||June 15 – 22 June 2019||Yes||1230|
|Hike & Yoga||June 22 -29 June 2019||Yes||1230|
|Hike & Yoga||June 29 – 6 July 2019||Yes||1230|
|Hike & Yoga||July 6 – 13 July 2019||Yes||1230|
|Yoga & Meditation||July 13 – 20 July 2019||Yes||1300|
|Hike & Yoga||July 20 – 27 July 2019||Yes||1230|
For more information on other dates, please view their retreat schedule here.
This sporty Welsh woman is co-founder of WearActive and has her own veggie cookbook! In summertime Xania lives on the Croatian island of Vis and in winter she is based with the team at MoaAlm and rides her snowboard in Kals.
He does it all: snowboarding, slacklining, mountain biking and kayaking! This Englishman is co-founder of WearActive and spends his summers with Xania, running his Croatian WearActive home on the island of Vis.
Lottie is one of our cooks with a passion for creating tasty dishes inspired by her travels. She loves trail running on the forest tracks around MoaAlm and riding her motorbike through the mountains. She is the propagator of game nights, and loves interesting conversations over a glass of wine in the evenings
Jason is a South African who grew up traversing through the mountains and surfing the waves. He always has a camera with him to make sure he doesn’t miss a moment, and when he’s not taking photos he’s taking every chance he gets to go out on a new adventure and explore the world around him.
Martin is our hiking guide and resident nature lover. Originally from Vienna, Martin has spent years taking himself into the mountains of Austria and the Himalayas. When not walking you’ll find Martin stretching in the yoga room or sitting with you on the terrace enjoying the glorious view.
Growing up in The Lake District rooted Chesca’s love for the great outdoors. When she’s not out and about playing in the sunshine you’ll find her in the kitchen cooking plant-based treats or flowing it out in our yoga studio
Ryan is our resident Irishman who, when he is not at work as our handyman and financial guru, can be found traversing high mountain ridges or tackling frozen climbing routes with his ice gear. An all round adrenaline junkie he is currently working on his ski mountaineering skills to try and keep up with the local climbers!
Probably the fastest member of the WearActive family. Zora loves to join us in the winter season on hikes and ski tours. Her cute one-up-one-down ears make Zora well-known and loved throughout the entire valley.
We have no set daily schedule. We understand that every guest and every day is different. The benefit of small groups is that we can adapt, discuss, and personalise each day. However, a typical week might look like this:
- Day 1: Arrival to your mountain home from homes, ‘MoaAlm’. Welcome drink and a chat over dinner about your weekly activity preferences.
- Day 2: Might look like: Yoga looking out at the sun rise from behind the mountains before breakfast followed by a hike to the Lesach Riegel Hütte. We could enjoy a picnic with a view of Austria’s highest mountain Grossglockner. Time to relax back at the house and enjoy drinks at the terrace before dinner is served and tomorrows plans are proposed.
- Day 3: May be breakfast followed by a hike from MoaAlm into the famous Dorfer Valley. Taking a coffee break at a traditional farmhouse and continuing our route towards a stunning mountain lake. Hiking back to MoaAlm for a late afternoon restorative yoga session and dinner at the house.
- Day 4: It’s a sunny day. The weather allows us to have our morning yoga session outside. Maybe we will take the gondola up to do some high alpine hiking towards the top of Blauspitz mountain today. We could have lunch at a mountain hut overlooking the entire valley. We head back to MoaAlm to enjoy the late afternoon sun on the terrace while our chef is preparing the BBQ.
- Day 5: No guided activity today so you could head to the nearby town of Lienz to browse the shops or go on a self-guided hike. Dinner out this evening at one of the restaurants in the village.
- Day 6: We could have an early start. After a nutritious breakfast we hike up Figerhorn mountain, enjoying an on-route picnic. We come back to MoaAlm to relax and have late afternoon drinks and snacks followed by a hearty dinner.
- Day 7: Friday comes around all too quickly but you make the most of it with a beautiful easy-going hike crossing the Tschadinalm. On our way back enjoying drinks down in Lesach and having a final evening meal at the house with new friends!